Almost a year ago I became a mother. To say it has been almost a year seems surreal to me because it has happened in a blink of an eye. I know the cliche thing to say is "don't blink", but I mean it. Looking back on this day and sharing it with you is special, but also very emotional. This day is a day that will forever stick out in my memory as one of the most incredible days in my life, of course, next to marrying my husband, Eric. 

I was going on 3 days past my due date and I told my doctor I wanted to be induced before the fourth of July due to not interfering with family vacations so everyone could meet my boy while I was at the hospital because when I got home I wanted to just adjust to the new life with Eric and Liam. My doctor understood and we decided that two days later, 5 days late, that I would be induced on June 30th, unless I went into labor beforehand. I agreed and we set the date for me to come in at five in the morning on the 30th. The night before I was supposed to be induced I made sure everything was packed and Eric and I went over the morning drill. I wanted to make sure we had a game plan set because I didn't want to forget anything or be late. So we decided to go to bed around 8:30 that night because we had no idea what was in store for us or how much sleep we were about to lose. I was so anxious and nervous I laid there for hours just thinking. Finally, I fell asleep around 11. Then, at 1:30 I woke up with contractions. 

I laid there thinking, "This can't be real. This can't be real." I felt like they were so close together. I started freaking out. So, I got my phone out and started counting the minutes between the contractions. It started out at 10 minutes. I was like, "AH!" Then I thought back to what people told me that unless it's 7 minutes or less there is no reason to jump up and got to the hospital. So I just laid there. Then I felt like they were even closer. So I timed it again. They were 8 minutes apart. So I started keeping time. And within 30 minutes they were 5 minutes a part. I nudged Eric and told him, " Hey, uh... I think we need to go to the hospital. My contractions are 5 minutes apart." He was half asleep and said, "Okay." and then didn't move. I smacked him and said, "WE NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL! I AM HAVING CONTRACTIONS FIVE MINUTES APART!" He shot up out of bed and ran and jumped in the shower. I started getting things together and was getting ready to head out in a hurry. We called and informed everyone on our way to the hospital and everyone was freaking out because I wasn't supposed to be there until 5 and it was only 2:30. 

On the way to the hospital I became at complete peace as we worshiped and prayed. Listening to Hillsong and just praising the Lord for the little bitty life that he was about to reveal to us. The little human he created in my womb was about to be in the world and we were so excited. I can remember just feeling so peaceful even during my contractions. It is so wild to think about how calm I was during the whole process. We arrived at the hospital at 3:30 a.m. and they already had our room fixed for us to arrive at 5. My mom arrived not too long after we did and the process began. As we waited for me to dilate to so many centimeters family started rolling in and the contractions started to get worse. I think at 6 cm they gave me my epidural. And I thank the good Lord above for it too. After that everything was smooth. I was not in pain and I felt like having a baby. It was seriously great I highly recommend it, ha. Around 12 I think the nurse told me we needed to start pushing. I started to get nervous, but I had my husband and mother in there so I felt a little okay about it. 

I initially didn't want my mom in there, but I am glad I did have her. My husband told me the day of to have my mom because I will one day wish I did have her, and he was so right. Having my mom in the room was awesome and I am glad she was in there. So, we started pushing. I was feeling some pain, but I toughed it out. I was about to meet my son and see his face and that's all I wanted at that moment. I pushed maybe 30 minutes when finally the nurse said, "Uh... I think he's about to come out let me get some help in here." The other nurses weren't in there but maybe 10 minutes when one of them told me I need to hold in the baby as long as I could because they needed my doctor to come down. I told them I can't hold him in and they were gonna have to deliver the baby. And a minute later, he arrived! 

My sweet little 7 lbs 2 oz, red headed baby boy appeared in my arms seconds later and I was in love instantly. I couldn't believe I was staring into my son's face. After months of wondering what he would look like, if he would look like me or Eric, if he would be a mix of us both. I was looking at the most precious little face and he looked like both of us. To this day sometime I catch myself watching him play and I just feel an overwhelming sense of joy come over me and that is how I felt the entire day, and pretty much weeks after Liam was born. 

When Liam was born he has a small amount of fluid in his lungs and family was not allowed to hold him most of the day he was born. He had to do skin to skin with me and I was sad that no one else could hold him, but I was also thrilled I got to snuggle him pretty much his full first day on this earth. It was such a sweet time. Thank goodness, Liam was fine hour later and they said he was able to be held by all family members. 

Flash forward to today and I have this beautiful, playful little 10 month old who is into anything and everything he can find to be into. He is so big and grown. He blesses me every single day with all that he is learning and all that he does. Liam has been such an incredible baby that I honestly don't even know where to begin on thanking the Lord for such an incredible and sweet baby. So, here I am on my first mother's day just soaking in every little ounce of Liam I can because time is flying by. Looking back on the day he was born seems like it was just a few days ago, but when I look at my child he is not looking like a baby anymore. He is starting to walk and can feed himself finger foods. He loves crawling and climbing. He jibber jabbers and giggles. He chases our sweet Ira dog around the house and runs from her when she wants to lick his face. He loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and anytime the Hot Diggity Dog song comes on he has to stop what he's doing to watch it. So many sweet things that he does that by this time next year I will be emotional over because he will be so grown by then as well. Every mother's day my son is going to give me new things to be proud about and I am excited to make sure every mother's day I am proud to be his Mama.